Saturday, October 27, 2007

My kind of town, Chicago is

Where to even start...
We packed in so much "stuff" on this trip, and for good reason: who knows when we'll be able to go back. But first, we celebrated our 4th Wedding Anniversary. 4 years has passed so quickly, it's mind blowing. I love being married to my best friend and high school sweetheart. Chicago was the perfect place to spend a few days playing around together without work or school or real life in our way. Our good friends Andy and Alex let us crash at their place, which was so gracious of them. It was tons of fun to hang with them again. We've missed them since they moved from our ward to Chicago for med school. Maybe, just maybe and with a lot of luck and prayers, we'll be joining them in the Windy City next year...cross your fingers! Tighter! We visited The Art Institute of Chicago because we had sadly neglected it on previous trips. It was amazing. I realize that this next part may be boring for some of you, just sit still and it will be over before you know it.

We tagged along with a school class on tour with one of the museum curators. This sneaky maneuver turned out to be a great way to learn interesting facts about famous paintings, for free. Did you know, the Art Institute has the best collection of Impressionist paintings in the U.S.? Monet, Manet, Renior...they all live in Chicago.
Two Piet Mondrian's on display, my lucky day. The one I'm looking at is Lozenge Composition with Yellow, Black, Blue, Red, and Gray (1921) . Exquisite.
Eames Lounge Chair and Ottoman. Gimme gimme. This chair was introduced on NBC's "Today" show in 1957 and has become the icon of modern furniture. Bear with me...
You can't be American and not recognize this painting by Grant Wood called American Gothic (1930). This is one of the most parodied images of our time and continues to reflect the struggle between traditional values and modern progress which is ever present in our culture, even today.
Almost done. Georgia O'Keefe's Cow's Skull with Calico Roses (1931). Love it, but you can't appreciate how "soft" it is from the photograph.
Brad and I walked all over the city during those few days. Our legs were not quite used to all that city walking, so we stopped often to take pictures. Brad was in heaven with his camera. He and Andy had way too much fun showing off their photog skillz while me and Alex hit Michigan Avenue for the shopping. We decided that we need an "Andy and Alex" wherever we go. Andy can go with Brad to take pictures and Alex can come with me for all the fun stuff. We did manage to buy Brad a nice suit, first one since the mission. If he's going to be interviewing for medical school soon, he might as well look presentable. I love the suit, but it makes me feel old and all grown up-ish. Ew. Andy gave us a quick tour of Northwestern University's Feinberg School of Medicine which is located in downtown Chicago. The campus was SO impressive. Brad loved it and we're now praying for an interview there as well. I could definitely live in Chicago, if I was forced to.





View from Thomas' Sun Deck. Not bad. Not bad at all.

Thanks again Andy and Alex! Until next time...

14 comments:

j e s s i e said...

Ok, I'll be rooting for you guys to get into school in Chicago. Looks like you had so much fun. You are so lucky to get away so much!

Alex said...

Our fingers are crossed. It was so fun having you guys here. The art institute looked like a lot of fun, we still have a lot of Chicago to see. Brad, I have to say, you have the self portrait pictures down. Keep us updated on the medical school adventure.

Alex said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Tuttles said...

Chicago looks way fun! I totally want to visit there.

Heather Adams said...

Brad and Gina, It looks like you guys had such a good time in Chicago!! I love that you guys get away and play, do it while you can:)!!

Heather Adams said...

Brad and Gina, It looks like you guys had such a good time in Chicago!! I love that you guys get away and play, do it while you can:)!!

{lizzythebotanist} said...

what a fun trip-i would never be able to convince steven to attend art galleries and museums with me-you are a lucky gal. glad you had fun, but also glad you are back! let's get together soon.

Jill & Seth said...

Gosh seeing this makes me want to have a vacation of my own. Anything without kids would be nice! :)

James Thomas said...

You guys make Chicago look amazing. I especially like the commentary on the art museum. If you ever decided not to do medicine I think the two of you could have your own travel column/TV show. I am sold!

Two Wheeler said...

Haha, nice James thanks for the suggestion. Come next Spring I should know if I'll be a travel columnist or a doctor, I'll keep you updated ;-)

Allison said...

I'm sooo rooting for Chicago guys! Such a great city & we would love to have an excuse to come visit! -- cute pics!!

The Traiyne said...

I am liking your pictures of the Windy city. Soon to be my own personal city, because I'm moving there next month. Come join the fun, you can find me in the lounge.

gina bina said...

the traiyne, you'll have a blast living in Chicago. Why are you moving there? I'm assuming for work...but maybe you're moving for a lady, I don't know!

The Traiyne said...

gina, I just explained the reasons for moving to the windy city on my blog. And unless the lady you are talking about is pizza or hot dogs, then no it's not for that.