Sunday, May 09, 2010

Happy Mother's Day and Some Heaven Help Me's

On a day like today, we couldn't resist packing up a blanket and our favorite café take-out for a quiet picnic in the park. It felt amazing to doze off with the warm sun on my very white arms. Today, as I helped the primary kids with a cutesy craft to present their mothers, I couldn't resist feeling nostalgic about being that small and perfect and using my chubby little hands to cut, paste, and color something imperfect for my mom who would blush and brighten and love it so. I still love that when I give my mother a gift she fusses and fidgets with the wrapping for several minutes as if it were too precious to piece apart. Then she nearly faints when she finally peers inside. Every time. It doesn't matter what it is. I could give my mom socks and she would cry with appreciation as if she were the luckiest mom in the world, to have just received socks from her baby. I've never given her socks, but I know if I did she would love them just as much. She's pretty amazing that way. Recently she's been engaged to a certain Mr. Ed whom we love and who, more importantly, loves my mom. It's so very sweet to see her twitterpated. Almost as sweet as her golden ringlets in this 2nd grade photo. Heaven help me.

Virginia Muir 2nd Grade sm
Mother's Day is the perfect occasion to remember the life of BD's late mother Judy. Not a day goes by that I don't think of her in some capacity. Nearly 7 years later I'm still very much conscious of her presence in our lives. I often crave a good chat with Judy, wherein she sits and listens with a perfect ear as I ramble about all the ups and downs of my very insignificant day. She always knew what to say to make me feel validated and loved. Today, I feel especially grateful that she knows exactly what it's like to be me. I just wish she were here to tell me that all of this will be worth it someday. And you know what? No one ever grows out of needing their mother. Even if you're the oldest, even if you're a son. Even if she's not here to recount the day they brought you home and how it changed their lives forever. Heaven help me.
judybradbaby sm
It would also be fitting to introduce the newest member of the Duncan family, our nephew, baby Cody. He was sure anxious to arrive, coming 3.5 weeks early, and we couldn't have been more surprised or more elated. He's perfect. You should see his little dimpled chin. His parents are so proud, and rightly so. After he was born, BD wouldn't stop talking about him for days. And his aunt (maybe me?) can't stop smelling his head. Heaven help me.
Baby Cody
Also, last week our niece Ellie was given a blessing by her Grandpa Duncan who said one of the most tender baby blessings I've ever heard. Although, Ellie was far more concerned with getting. that. dang. mic. into her mouth than she was about Grandpa and the circle of Priesthood crowded around her. Precious.
Ellie's blessing day
Ellie has our family completely wrapped around her plump little finger. It's not uncommon to find all of us adults gathered around her making the most ridiculous fools of ourselves cooing, clucking, chirping, barking, snapping, and waving just to get a wee little smile. Luckily for our pride, she generously dishes smiles out freely. She's quite possibly the cutest baby I've ever seen. No, seriously. She twists her tongue inside her mouth, like this. Ohhhhhhh, heaven help me.
Tongue!

7 comments:

Two Wheeler said...

Love you G! You're quite the writer; it's a perfect tribute to great women written by another great woman!

Dan+Alli said...

Love the picture of Ellie with her tounge! Adorable post.

Anonymous said...

cute cute pictures:) thank gina! xox

C*K*J said...

So very sweet. You never cease to amaze me! XOX

blurker said...

Ditto Brad! What a sweet post and truly sincere tribute to the women in your life. Love you G!

j e s s i e said...

agreed, she is the cutest little thing. ever.

Whitnée said...

I love this post Gina. And I love you!