Saturday, February 02, 2008

all that i heart - day 2

I heart Children's Books! As a child there were several books that fundamentally impacted me and are etched into my childhood memories. Favorites include Pickle-Chiffon Pie, Quick as a Cricket, and especially The Giving Tree by Shel Silverstein.I loved this story as a child. The story is so simple and pure and the message is timeless. Even as an adult, I cry when I read this book. If you haven't read The Giving Tree in a long time, do it.
My late mother-in-law, who knew me better than almost anyone, gave me The Quiltmakers Gift for my birthday many years ago.I heart this book for many reasons. It was a gift from Judy and now that she has passed, every time I read this book there are bits and pieces of her in the story. It has become a treasure to me because the story exemplifies her in so many ways.
My mom started a wonderful Christmas tradition of giving a new children's book to each of us on Christmas Eve, and then we read it out loud as a family. This year she gave us Christmas Day in the Morning, a loving story about the true meaning of giving at Christmas time. Highly recommended.For the past 2 years I've started collecting my own little children's book library. Brad and I love going to the City Library in downtown to play in the children's section. It's so fun and if you have little kids...it's a must.

***Giveaway***
Sparkle and Spin A Book About Words by Ann & Paul Rand is a new favorite book of mine! This book is so clever. The words create harmony and rhythm as you read them. But the best part about this book are the illustrations, witty and eclectic. I heart this book. Leave me a comment before I post again tomorrow and be entered in a drawing to win this book! Yes, even you blog stalkers out there.

11 comments:

{lizzythebotanist} said...

i loved the giving tree too-but now it makes me really sad. have you read "on the night you were born"? it's by nancy tillerman. IT'S SOOOO GOOD (and a great baby/baby shower gift!). i cried in the book store the first time i read it. and i've cried everytime i've read it since.

Lisa P. said...

What a great idea, a blogging drawing. I think you are so smart to collect them now. We have a lot, but I am tired of most of them and she is still little. I think that you are so creative to do this valentines blog.

Lacy said...

I keep telling Rob that I want to collect as many books as possible. Izzy LOVES books so it is easy for me to buy books rather than toys because they last forever and she doesn't get sick of them!

Tuttles said...

We got a book for Christmas every year growing up and still do now. I've got a great collection now but they're all at my parents. Mason would probably eat them anyway. I'm excited you'll have a new post everyday!

cathy said...

We luckily have a good size collection of children books, which mainly come from the Grandparents. My favorite book is also a book from my childhood, but I really didn't understand why it made my mom cry until more recently-(Olivia turns 5 on Wednesday, it's hard sometimes to see them grow up) it's called "Love You Forever" by Robert Munsch-it has that repeated line your probable familiar with I'll Love you forever. I'll like you for always, As long as I'm living My baby you'll be. If you don't have that one you need to get it Gina-also great is "Guess How Much I Love You"

Ashley said...

Gina, you're so cute! How fun to do a giveaway. ANd yes, I guess you could call me a blog stalker:) I love your blog. I too love children's books and I have never seen this one. You should check out Ann Dewdney's Llama Llama Red Pajama or Mad at Mama...both very cute. Anyway pick me , pick me! :)

The P*dunc's said...

So I don't usually comment, but I too love books.

One of my all time favorites is "Alexander and the horrible, terrible, no good, very bad day."

Anyone who has ever had an rough day will appreciate this book ... even in Australia.

Paul

j e s s i e said...

I havn't read the Giving Tree for such a long time, I'll need to add that to our collection. I LOVE to read stories with Tate. It's such a relaxing activity to do together, and one that really teaches him at the same time. He would be happy if read all day long. Today I got home and before I had the door open he was shouting, "Mom, tell me the 3 little pigs!" I love the cute illustrations they come up with these days!
Cute idea G!

j e s s i e said...

P.S. I heart that my blog stalking abilities are possibly worth something! =)

Rachel said...

So will it up my chances if I leave a bunch of different comments?!?!? Just teasing, but such a cute idea! Children's books really are the greatest! Each night we read Addie a different book, and it is so fun! You need to look at/read "Fancy Nancy". Addie got it for Christmas, and it is SOOOOO cute! (You could probably call it "Fancy Addie"!) Anyways, you're so cute! Love your ideas! I want to be like you when I grow up!

gina bina said...

Thanks everyone for all the awesome comments. I now have a BUNCH of new books I need to check out. How fun!!

***WINNER***
Lacy, you won! I'll be in touch with to to deliver your awesome new book! Love ya!