Thursday, February 07, 2008

all that i heart - day 7

I heart Baking! Tonight's sweet tooth craving: chocolate dipped homemade cinnamon marshmallows. Oh so yummy. (I realize that you don't technically bake marshmallows, but whatever).Homemade Marshmallows

Ingredients
about 1 cup confectioners' sugar
3 1/2 envelopes (2 tablespoons plus 2 1/2 teaspoons) unflavored gelatin
1/2 cup cold water
2 cups granulated sugar
1/2 cup light corn syrup
1/2 cup hot water
1/4 teaspoon salt
2 large egg whites
1 teaspoon vanilla

Preparation
Oil bottom and sides of a 13-by-9-by-2 inch rectangular metal baking pan and dust bottom and sides with some confectioners' sugar.
In bowl of a standing mixer or in a large bowl sprinkle gelatin over cold water and let stand to soften.
In a 3-quart heavy saucepan cook granulated sugar, corn syrup, hot water, and salt over low heat, stirring with a wooden spoon, until sugar is dissolved. Increase heat to moderate and boil mixture, without stirring, until a candy or digital thermometer registers 240 degrees F., about 12 minutes.Remove pan from heat and pour mixture over gelatin mixture, stirring until gelatin is dissolved.
With standing or a hand-held electric mixer beat mixture on high until white, thick, and nearly tripled in volume, about 6 minutes if using standing mixer or about 10 minutes if using a hand-held mixer. In a large bowl with cleaned beaters beat whites until they just hold stiff peaks. Beat whites and vanilla into sugar mixture until just combined. Pour mixture into baking pan and sift 1/4 cup confectioners' sugar evenly over top. Chill marshmallow, uncovered, until firm, at least 3 hours, and up to 1 day.I added some red food coloring and cinnamon extract to the marshmallow batter. The color turned out brilliant, I love the pink. However, the cinnamon flavor didn't come through as strong as I had hoped. Run a thin knife around edges of pan and invert onto a large cutting board. Lifting up 1 corner of inverted pan, with fingers loosen marshmallow and let drop onto cutting board. With cookie cutter or large knife cut marshmallow into desired shapes. Sift remaining confectioners' sugar into a large bowl and add marshmallows in batches, tossing to evenly coat. Marshmallows keep in an airtight container at cool room temperature 1 week.
Dip the marshmallow hearts in chocolate to make them extra decadent. I used semi-sweet chocolate, melted in a double-broiler. Use a fork to dip and "drain" the marshmallows. Let them set up on a sheet of parchment paper. Top them with a candy red hot. Voila!

9 comments:

Rachel said...

Oh my heck! You always amaze me! Those look soooo yummy (and I don't even like marshmallows---but I would forsure eat those!!!) G, you are so talented!

j e s s i e said...

I never even knew you could make marshmallows! Those look like such a great little treat. When it comes to anything "dipped" I get scared away. You make it look so easy. =)

Tuttles said...

Oh my gosh Gina! Those look so good! You should open your on little See's candy shop. But call it Duncan Donuts. Wait, nevermind... You can seriously do ANYTHING!

CHUNTZ said...

Look at you go Betty Crocker!!!

j e s s i e said...

Cole just looked at your blog and said "those look so good." Followed by "I want those" a few min. later! Looks like I'll be trying to make them. =)

{lizzythebotanist} said...

oh my heck-maybe you should make me some as your entry into the cinnamon treats contest! the look amazing. great photos too. miss you!

Lacy said...

You little homemaker you.

The P*dunc's said...

you are so good at making my mouth water! I was telling Paul about these marshmallows and my mouth literally started watering. Then, Paul saw them and, "ooooooohhhhhhhhhed..."

Natlee Lloyd said...

Those are so amazing! Where do you come up with stuff like that and not to mention where do you find the time? My new year resolution: Become more like Gina Richman Duncan!